Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Effective Housekeeing In A Single Parent Home

When my son started schooling, I thought my household responsibilities would lessen. I was surprised when additional chores were placed on top of my existing ones. And yes, these news one included giving my son a hand in his homework and school projects. Since I wanted every thing to be neatly done, I did not allow my son to help me and make more mess (which was impossible). I did this for a month and the result was a squeaky clean house but a very tired and hot-headed me. A co-worker, who happens to be a single mom too, taught me that as early as my son's age he can now help with the chores. She just stressed that whatever I assigned to him must be age-appropriate. This advice sounded like common sense to me when I first hard it from my co-worker. But the obsessive compulsive in me must have kicked in and my senses repelled the idea instantly that I never thought of it in the first place :)

And so, the reformed me after that well-meant advised is now disciplining myself to breakdown the chores by area. And in every breakdown, I decipher which tasks may be assigned to my little help. Take a look at my short list of to-do tasks for him.

  • Sorting and folding laundry
  • Putting the dishes inside the dishwasher
  • Sorting the garbage and taking it out
  • Feeding the pets
  • Dusting surfaces