Raising responsible children can be very challenging but it is very much achievable. You can start by letting your children understand that you are a team. Tell them that you are all responsible to the team's success. In connection to that, there are a lot of things that they should be responsible about.
1) Create a routine for mornings and evenings. Stick to it. Believe it or not, kids are comforted by routines. It is easier for them to follow an order everyday - from waking up, getting dressed, eating, going to school, playing up to bedtime.
2) Instruct your kids that they need to take care of their belongings. Their clothes and books must be kept in their closets and shelves respectively after each use. They must put away their toys after playing with them.
3) Assign chores to your kids. Make sure that each of your kids gets age-appropriate chores. Also, make sure that they have equal number of tasks to avoid jealousy among them.
4) Schedule family clean ups. Nothing beats the joy of cleaning up the house together. Moreover, you're able to clean more areas of the house when you work together. You can do this every weekend. Before your kids plan to go somewhere else with their friends, oblige them to help you clean the house first. It can last from 30 minutes to an hour. To make clean ups enjoyable, play some lively music that your kids love.
5) Create a vacation activity list. Sit down with your kids at the start of summer vacation or Christmas vacation. Make a list of the tasks which you want them to achieve during the vacation. Provide instructions on how they must be done. Provide a time frame as well.